It is national Peanut Butter Day.
Who comes up with this stuff?
Anyway, rather than over-think it, I’m embracing it and sharing my favorite HEALTHY peanut butter recipes. Enjoy!
~The protein and fiber in peanut butter are both beneficial for blood sugar control.
~Contains resveratrol , an antioxidant that has been linked with lower levels of heart disease and cancer. Some studies suggest that resveratrol may reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
~It contains both protein and healthy monosaturated fats, which will give you the energy pick-me-up that you are looking for.
Flourless Peanut Butter Chocolate Blondies from Detoxonista.
- 1 cup natural creamy peanut butter (preferably organic)
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 whole egg
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (*if using unsalted peanut butter)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease an 8″ square pan with butter or coconut oil.
- In a small bowl, mix the peanut butter, honey, egg, salt and baking soda until well combined, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan, and use a spatula to smooth the top.
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is a light golden brown. (it only took 20 minutes in my oven)
- Let cool, then cut into squares and serve!
Banana Date Shake from One Arab Vegan
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (I used home-made, but store bought is fine)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 3-4 medium dates, chopped
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp organic peanut butter
- 1 tbsp shelled hemp seeds or hemp protein powder (optional)
1. Add everything to a blender and blend until smooth. Top with cinnamon.
Chicken Lettuce Wraps with Hoisin Peanut Butter Sauce
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 4 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat add olive oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add shallot, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add 1/3 cup water and next 3 ingredients (through red pepper), and stir with a whisk. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in lime juice.
Assemble veggies in lettuce leaves and drizzle with sauce at the table:
Bibb lettuce leaves
Grilled chicken or salmon or tofu
Green Onion, chopped
photo credit: www.thekitchn.com