Why is it that in the moments when it is most crucial to mind our health, it seems the most challenging?
During the times when we are really busy and moving at such a fast pace, it is so important to take care of ourselves in order to maintain that level of productivity and energy, but unfortunately so many of us fall short by making convenient, rather than thoughtful choices.
Think about what you end up eating when you travel, have all day meetings, or at conferences. I bet it is a lot of pastries, chips, and alcohol…am I right?
Ok, so what can we do about this? Because I want you to be able to live a healthy and energized life without feeling burdened by the guilt of eating poorly or burnt out because you are lacking proper nutrition.
Here are some tips on how to make just slight painless adjustments for a significant positive changes:
1. Stop judging yourself! If you are going to eat a bag of chips, eat the chips, enjoy it. If you continually bash yourself for the food you eat, you will continue the negative cycle and reinforce this negative talk.
2. Skip the orange juice and eat a whole piece of fruit instead. There is a lot less sugar and a lot more nutrients in whole fruits.
3. If you are flying, be sure to pack healthy snacks rather than eating airport/airplane food. It takes a little advanced thinking but here are some easy ideas:
- Protein Bars (get ones without sugar like Pure Protein, Larabar, or Detour)
- Almonds and dried fruit
- Mini pre packaged hummus and veggies that are reminiscent of Handy Snacks (remember the little red stick? Gross!)- easy to through in your purse
- Instant oatmeal packets (look for brands that don’t add sugar like Nature’s Way or Kashi)
- If you are drinking alcohol stick to wine. If you are drinking liquor, mix with club soda and just a splash of fruit juice. You still get the flavor and skip the calories.
4. Hyadrate with water or herbal tea. You will be less likely to snack on empty calories if you feel hydrated. Just grab a bottle of water even if you don’t feel thirsty. You will end up drinking it and not even realizing it.
5. Take the stairs! Enough said.
Take note that none of these ideas are radically profound, simply promote mindfulness and awareness of how you treat yourself which, ultimately contributes to a healthier state of mind, body, and soul.